, a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Mathematical Sciences at the University of Tokyo. My current research focuses on the analytic and combinatorial study of orbital matrix integrals. In practice this means that I work on problems connected to several areas, including random matrix theory, combinatorial representation theory, quantum information, and harmonic analysis. I also collaborate with physicists and computer scientists on applications in their respective fields.
I completed my PhD in 2020 at Brown University, where my advisor was Govind Menon. In 2018-19 I also worked with Jean-Bernard Zuber as a Chateaubriand Fellow at the Laboratoire de Physique Théorique et Hautes Energies, Sorbonne University.
Pure math and mathematical physics:
Algorithms, cryptography, data science:
- C. McSwiggen, J. Novak (2021). “Majorization and spherical functions.” To appear in Int. Math. Res. Not. IMRN. arXiv:2006.08541
- C. McSwiggen (2021). “Box splines, tensor product multiplicities and the volume function.” To appear in Algebr. Comb. arXiv:1909.12278
- R. Coquereaux, C. McSwiggen, J.-B. Zuber (2020). “On Horn’s problem and its volume function.” Comm. Math. Phys. 376: 2409-2439. arXiv:1904.00752
- R. Coquereaux, C. McSwiggen, J.-B. Zuber (2019). “Revisiting Horn’s problem.” J. Stat. Mech.: Theory Exp. 2019: 094018. arXiv:1905.09662
- C. McSwiggen (2019). “A new proof of Harish-Chandra’s integral formula.” Comm. Math. Phys. 365: 239–253. arXiv:1712.03995
- C. McSwiggen (2018). “The Harish-Chandra integral.” Submitted. arXiv:1806.11155
- J. Leake, C. McSwiggen, N. Vishnoi (2020). “A polynomial-time algorithm and applications for matrix sampling from Harish-Chandra-Itzykson-Zuber densities.” Submitted. arXiv:2011.05417
- I. Miers, C. McSwiggen, Y. Zhu, D. Lai, M. Green, S. He, A.S. Raja (2020). “A cryptographic framework for lotteries in medical triage: secure and transparent randomized allocation of scarce healthcare resources.” Submitted.
- U. França, H. Sayama, C. McSwiggen, R. Daneshvar, Y. Bar-Yam (2015). “Visualizing the 'heartbeat' of a city with tweets.” Complexity 21: 280-287. arXiv:1411.0722
Talks and presentations
- "Horn's problem, polytope volumes and tensor product decompositions," Operator Algebras Seminar, University of Tokyo, 29 January 2020.
- Kyoto Operator Algebra Seminar, Kyoto University, 24 January 2020.
- Combinatorics Seminar, Brown University, 20 November 2019.
- "From multiplicities to random matrices and back again," AMS Fall Western Sectional Meeting, Special Session on Random Matrices and Related Structures, UC Riverside, 9-10 November 2019.
- "Multiplicities from volumes," Integrability, Combinatorics and Representations, Giens, France, 2-6 September 2019.
- "Large-N asymptotics of Harish-Chandra integrals," Randomness and Symmetry, University College Dublin, 18-22 June 2018.
- Introduction to Stochastic Differential Equations (APMA 1930U), Brown University, Fall 2019 - Recitation leader
- Operations Research: Probabilistic Methods (APMA 1200), Brown University, Spring 2017 - Recitation leader
- Monte-Carlo Simulation with Applications to Finance (APMA 1720), Brown University, Fall 2016 - Recitation leader
If you're looking for my non-mathematical work, there's a partial archive at my unmaintained personal website.